Sunday 8 July 2012

London

6th July

Just a very short blog.

On Friday Mark went up to London - it doesn't happen all that ofter, but regularly enough. The meetings were at the Australian High Commission on Strand, and opposite the AHC is St Clements Danes church, which the the home church of the RAF. Anyway, I got there just after 12 noon, and the bells of St Clements were peeling out a familiar tune . . . "Oranges and lemons, the bells of St Clements". The reason I mention St  Clements, is that there is a dead king there :-) Harold Harefoot who died in 1040, so after my meetings I was going to pop over and take a look. Unfortunately, the church was closed (very unusual for 4pm) as most churches are open during the day.

SO, it was off to Fortnum and Masons for some special supplies. Royal Blend tea for Cal - they didn't have the 50 pack, so 2 x 25 would have to do (strike 1). Some White tea for Mark (yum) - no luck, no white tea of any form (out of season, the man in tails and waistcoat said - and who am I to argue with that?)(strike 2), but the man managed to convince me to buy some orange tea . . . very good value he said . . . at £400 per kilo (ouch) - I got £8 worth. Then off to the truffles section for some (more ouch) value for money . . . a bargain at only £100 per kilo . . . each truffle cost a pound. They didn't have any classic white chocolate (for Cal of course)(strike 3).

This time I took a camera, just in case (when I go to London I rarely buy a tube ticket as I rarely tire of the sights of one of the classic cities in the world). I did not take a brollie for justin as the BBC weather said it was going to be fine - bollocks - I'm not going to be caught out again. Anyway - one photo for the blog, taken from Waterloo Bridge on the way back to the train station - don't be fooled by the blue sky - it was black as sin behind me. Speaking of weather, the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT - best airshow in the UK) was on this weekend. The weather on Saturday was real bad, so I didn't go - today was supposed to be no better, but it is not that bad . . . darn. There's always next year (with a better camera :-))



No comments:

Post a Comment